0.7 C
Munich
Tuesday, January 31, 2023

Aussie reporter blasts Meghan’s editing fail

Must read


An Australian TV news reporter has called out an apparent editing error in Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s new Netflix docu-series.

Sarah Greenhalgh, 7News’ London-based Europe correspondent, appeared on Sunrise to discuss Harry & Meghan, which premiered on Thursday night.

The journalist pointed out how many scenes of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex attacking the UK press were featured with “headlines and sound bites” from US media.

“It’s mostly about press intrusion,” she said, summarising the first three episodes of the show.

“And even though they do criticise mostly the British press, it should be pointed out that many of the worst examples – some of the worst headlines or sound bites – are actually from the American outlets.”

Greenhalgh then referenced a scene of the couple being followed by American paparazzi in New York City “while criticising the British press”.

Stay up to date with the latest news on the British Royals with Flash. 25+ news channels in 1 place. New to Flash? Try 1 month free. Offer available for a limited time only >

This is not the first time mistakes have been spotted in Harry & Meghan.

The Netflix series has sparked negative attention for the use of “fake” and “misleading” photos which have been exposed in detail, including one paparazzi picture taken from the Harry Potter premiere in 2011.

US journalist Megyn Kelly blasted the show for its “dishonest” narrative during an appearance on UK news channel GB News’ Dan Wootton Tonight, available to stream on Flash.

“I realise that Netflix, or the director, would have put together the trailer, but Meghan and Harry approved it,” the Sky News Australia contributor told the program.

The broadcaster claimed that the pair “saw those pictures and understood they were being misused”.

Harry & Meghan has stirred controversy, with everyone from the royal family to a BBC journalist hitting back at claims the pair made in the show.

In the opening scene of the Sussexes’ six-part tell, a message on the screen says: “All interviews were completed by August 2022. Members of the royal family declined to comment on the content within this series.”

But in a move that throws the credibility of Meghan and Harry’s documentary into doubt, royal aides almost immediately denied they had been asked for their side of events.

And in another scene, Meghan claimed that she and Harry’s first joint TV interview in 2017 – to announce their engagement – was akin to an “orchestrated reality show” and felt overly rehearsed and controlled.

But the journalist who conducted the interview, Mishal Husain, refuted those claims today, saying: “We know recollections may vary on this particular subject, but my recollection is definitely very much: asked to do an interview and do said interview.”

Meghan’s half-sister, Samantha Markle, also lashed out at the Duchess after she finally addressed the ongoing drama with her father’s side of the family in the third episode.

The Duchess of Sussex claimed Samantha was “suddenly everywhere” when her relationship with Harry went public.

“I don’t know your middle name, I don’t know your birthday, you’re telling these people you raised me and calling me ‘Princess Pushy’?” Meghan said, bewildered by her relative’s comments about her in the press.

Addressing the comments on Seven’s Sunrise, Samantha branded Harry and Meghan “ridiculous”.

She specifically called out Meghan’s claim in the documentary that she’d had to uninvite her niece, Ashleigh – who is Samantha’s daughter – to the Royal Wedding so as to avoid having her mother there.

“It was really surprising to hear that there was a narrative spun that she was uninvited because of something to do with me,” Samantha told Sunrise.

“Well, I heard from a royal insider that knows that that (decision) was up to Meghan. So Meghan lied to my daughter, which made my daughter, I think, begrudge me a little bit and think it was my fault.

“This was at the beginning, remember, when everybody believed Meghan and thought I was a horrible person … the world had not seen the string of lies.”

Harry & Meghan is a six-part Netflix series directed by Oscar-nominee Liz Garbus. It is the flagship offering in the couple’s rumoured $183 million multi-year content deal with the streaming giant.

It’s a project that has been in the works for months, with two trailers being released in the past two weeks, both making headlines around the world.

– With The Sun

Originally published as TV reporter calls out editing fail in Harry and Meghan Netflix docu-series

Read related topics:Meghan MarklePrince Harry



Source link

- Advertisement -

More articles

Leave a Reply

- Advertisement -

Latest article

%d bloggers like this: