- Advertisement -

‘We are not going to be stopped’

Must read


As President Donald Trump considers bolstering immigration enforcement efforts in Chicago as early as next week, organizers of the Pilsen Mexican Independence Day Parade said Thursday the upcoming celebration will go on despite deportation fears.

“We are not going to be stopped from celebrating our roots, our heritage, our culture,” said Vicky Lugo, secretary of the United Merchants of Pilsen Chamber of Commerce.

Lugo spoke Thursday morning at a news conference at Pilsen’s Plaza Tenochtitlán, where she and other organizers encouraged the community to attend the 24th annual parade, scheduled for Sept. 6 at noon. She said there are folkloric dancers, traditional music and “very colorful” floats to look forward to.

“Of course, there are people that are afraid. But those of us who are able to speak out, we should for our parents or our family members that are undocumented,” she said. “We should continue celebrating our culture … so we don’t forget where our families came from.”

Parade organizers are planning a celebration under the shadow of “ramped up” immigration enforcement in Chicago. Trump’s administration has asked the Naval Station Great Lakes base outside Chicago for support on immigration operations, and is preparing for a major immigration enforcement operation as soon as next week, CNN reported citing multiple sources.

On Thursday, co-called border czar Tom Homan told reporters that a “large contingent” of resources would be sent to Chicago, but declined to say how many.

“You can see a ramp up of operations in Chicago, absolutely,” he said.

The president has also talked of deploying the National Guard to the city for a peacekeeping presence, a move Illinois politicians and local activists have denounced.

These developments follow months of aggressive and highly publicized immigration enforcement across the country, including in Chicago, which have had a ripple effect on Latino festivities. Earlier this year, Chicago’s Cinco de Mayo parade was paused over immigration crackdown fears, organizers told WTTW. And Miche Fest, a two-day Chicago street festival of Latino music, also was canceled.

But Lugo said organizers are not worried that immigration enforcement efforts will affect next weekend’s events because the parade isn’t “an act of violence or aggression,” rather an event to “celebrate our traditions.”

She said organizers are putting extra security measures in place for the parade, including placing volunteers along the parade route who will communicate if they see immigration agents. The Chicago Police Department will also help ensure safety, she said. She said they expect about 3,000 spectators to attend.

Other than the Pilsen parade, the downtown El Grito Chicago festival, which city officials and Mexican leaders started last year in part to deter car caravans that have dominated streets in recent years, is scheduled for Sept. 13-14. El Grito or “the Cry of Independence,” marks the beginning of Mexico’s fight for independence from Spain. There’s another, larger parade in Little Village on Sept. 14, which will also go on “as planned,” organizers said.

“We feel almost like it’s our responsibility to move forward with the event,” said Jennifer Aguilar, executive director of the Little Village Chamber of Commerce.

“It’s important to show a sign of strength, and going forward with the parade is doing just that,” Aguilar continued. “That we are not ashamed of where we come from, of our culture, that we are proud to be Mexican and American. Despite the intimidation we are holding our heads up high.”

Aguilar said they plan to have an immigration lawyer on-site and are taking “as many precautions as possible” for security.

Rigoberto Gonzalez Jr., the executive director of United Merchants, said he’s excited to celebrate our “wonderful nation of immigrants” on the holiday. He said he’s always amazed by the horses walking down 18th Street in Pilsen. Seeing the Mexican and American flags side by side on a horse is “beautiful,” he added.

“It’s important to still create awareness and celebrate our differences, and as long as we continue doing that in a safe and orderly manner, then I think that’s it’s important to not lose our identity in this political climate,” he said.

The parade will also honor Gonzalez’s father, Rigoberto Gonzalez Sr., as honorary grand marshal. The owner of 18th Street’s Mr “G” Sewing Machine Shop and co-founder of the annual parade died last year of colon cancer.

“It’s really a beautiful thing to be able to continue his legacy,” Gonzalez said. “It was a big blow to our family and the community. But just because he’s not here doesn’t mean the work stops. We have to continue celebrating our culture, our heritage and, most importantly, still continue to support the local businesses in the community.”



Source link

- Advertisement -

More articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisement -

Latest article