- Advertisement -

Boy and man arrested over Gants Hill restaurant ‘arson attack’

Must read


PA Media Two police officers in uniform stand on a road in front of police tape which surrounds shops and restaurants. Their backs are to the camera. Signage for the businesses pictured indicate they are a barbershop, an Indian restaurant and a deli.PA Media

Two people remain in a life-threatening condition in hospital following the blaze

A teenage boy and a man have been arrested after a suspected arson attack at an east London restaurant left at least five people injured.

Three women and two men were taken to hospital when a blaze ripped through the venue in Woodford Avenue in Gants Hill, Ilford, on Friday evening.

The Met Police said a 15-year-old boy and a 54-year-old man had been arrested on suspicion of arson with intent to danger life.

It added that two of the victims – a man and a woman – remained in a life-threatening condition in hospital.

Firefighters took 90 minutes to extinguish the flames after the fire took hold at about 21:00 BST.

Local resident Edward Thawe, 43, said he had seen one of the injured men whose “whole body was burnt”.

Another local, who did not want to give his name, said he had witnessed three “severely burned” people being doused by emergency services and given oxygen.

PA Media A row of six uniformed police officers search an area on Woodford Avenue in Ilford. They are in a line and looking down or to the side, working their way along a section of pavement cordoned off by police tape. Parked cars are in the road to the left and a row of businesses can be seen along the right hand side.PA Media

The two people arrested remain in police custody

In addition to the five people treated at the scene, the Met said it believed another two people had been injured but left before emergency services arrived.

It said efforts were being made to identify them.

Nine other people were able to get out of the building before the emergency services arrived.

Det Ch Insp Mark Rogers said: “While we have made two arrests, our investigation continues at pace so we can piece together what happened on Friday evening.

“I know the community are concerned and shocked by this incident. I would urge anyone with any information or concerns to come forward and speak to police.”

The two people arrested remain in police custody.



Source link

- Advertisement -

More articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisement -

Latest article