Aug. 28—POTSDAM — Clarkson University’s ROTC unit will be spared.
The Army has reversed course after announcing plans to shutter 10 Reserve Officer Training Corps units nationwide. Clarkson’s would have been the only one in New York to be deactivated.
The Clarkson Army Senior ROTC program includes 45 cadets and has produced more than 1,600 commissioned officers. Clarkson’s affiliation with ROTC began in 1936.
The Army had announced plans to shut down 10 ROTC units nationwide, including Clarkson’s, during the summer of 2026. They will all remain open, except for one at Fort Knox, according to an Army information paper dated Aug. 21.
“(U.S. Army Cadet Command) will retain all eligible Senior ROTC programs previously selected for closure,” the paper reads. “The decision follows a comprehensive review and consideration of feedback from community leaders and key stakeholders. Previously selected programs slated for closure will be retained as extension units. All programs will maintain onsite cadre, education, training, and support. USACC remains committed to optimizing its structure while preserving access for cadets and other students wanting to participate at campuses the programs are currently offered.”
The decision to shutter ROTC programs was in response to the elimination of 168 civilian jobs at the Department of Defense, as part of the broader “Army Transformation Initiative” outlined in a June 27 article published by the Army. As a result, 10 universities were slated to close their Army ROTC units.
Clarkson ROTC enrollment officer Scott A. Toth said he hasn’t received official word through chain of command and declined to comment.
Clarkson President Michelle B. Larson released a statement on Thursday saying it’s also good news for the three nearby universities.
“This victory is also shared with our partner institutions — St. Lawrence University, SUNY Canton, and SUNY Potsdam — whose cadets are part of our proud tradition. For nearly 90 years, Clarkson’s Army ROTC has prepared students across the North Country to serve with honor and distinction, and thanks to this collective effort, it will continue to do so for generations to come,” Larson said. “Thanks to the unified voice of Clarkson’s faculty, staff, students, alumni, elected officials, and our North Country community, we are grateful and proud that Clarkson’s Army ROTC program will continue serving the nation.”
Assemblyman Scott A. Gray, R-Watertown, said that although some details still need to be figured out, he’s “optimistic” that the outcome will be good news for Clarkson.
“I am happy to hear the news! While we are still awaiting official confirmation with details from the Army on whether it will remain a battalion or become a detachment of Syracuse ROTC, I am optimistic the outcome will be what the university is looking for. We are currently in close communication with Clarkson,” he said in a statement released Thursday afternoon.
“This is a direct result of the voices of Clarkson cadets, Fort Drum advocates, community members and local leaders being heard,” he added. “I’m grateful the Army took these concerns seriously, and I look forward to ensuring our region’s ROTC program is supported for years to come.”
Sen. Charles E. Schumer, D-N.Y., released a statement on Thursday giving himself credit for saving the program.
“I’m glad Clarkson University’s superb ROTC can continue training dozens of North Country cadets who want to serve. Patriotism and a passion for service run deep in this region, and I will keep fighting to protect the Golden Knight Battalion at Clarkson University for our talented and patriotic cadets,” he said.
“When I heard about the hasty and misguided plan to shut it down, I immediately began pushing all levels of government and the Army to protect this beloved program for the North Country. Clarkson’s ROTC is the only one in the region, supports Fort Drum, and no cadet should have to choose between staying at their current school or transferring elsewhere just to pursue their military ambitions,” Schumer said.