Apr. 8—Two arrests were made Tuesday after a Monday shooting left an 8-year-old Odessa boy fighting for his life.
The shooting was Monday in southwest Odessa. Odessa Police have charged 24-year-old Santos Martin Roman and 24-year-old Anthony Gallegos Ramon Jr. with Injury to a Child “Felony 1”, three counts of Aggravated Assault with a Deadly Weapon “Felony 2”, and Deadly Conduct “Felony 3”.
Right after noon on Monday OPD responded to the 1000 block of W. Monahans about a shooting. After a disturbance occurred at a residence, police say Roman and Ramon went to the residence and ultimately fired several rounds.
A probable cause affidavit details the boy’s mother said had a disturbance with Roman and he left her home but returned several hours later. She said she heard gunshots and ran downstairs and found the boy on the floor with a gunshot wound to his head.
Two adults and two children were inside of the residence during the shooting. An 8-year-old boy sustained a gunshot wound to the head and was transported to a local hospital before being air-lifted to Lubbock with life-threatening injuries. There were no reports of any other injuries.
The affidavit details surveillance footage showed Roman used a Mercedes to make his getaway. Officers found he was on probation for another crime and used that information to find his address. Both Roman and Ramon later pulled up to that address and officers took them in for questioning.
Roman told officers his wallet and cell phone were stolen earlier in the day while he was at the home on Monahans and his vehicle was vandalized.
Police say Roman and Ramon acted in accordance with each other to commit the crimes. Both men were charged and arrested and transported to the ECLEC.